Sunday, March 1, 2009

Gender Does Not Define a Persons Strength

I am a pretty tough person. I've been lifting furniture for years at my job, and I workout on a regualar basis. Most of my employees have been male, and I've had no trouble out lifting many of them, and I can certainily hold my own in getting things done that involve heavy lifting. WELL, yesterday at work I sell some furniture to a family, and when they come back to pick it up, me and my 2 employees that were with me each grabbed an item and carried them out. I was at the lead with a sofa, doing fine, minding my own business, I've carried hundreds of sofas out in my day, and this certainly wan't the heaviest one. The husband of this family sees me with the couch and about has a cow. "Why are you moving that, shouldn't the big guy inside be doing that?" I told him I can handel it fine and they are bringing his other stuff. He tells me to let the guys do it, I tell him I'm fine, I'm tough. He scoffs and tells me I'm not tough and he'd like to see me get it into his trailer (not even a high trailer mind you). I tell him no problem and start to load it in. And as a side note, lots of male customers are shocked to see me brining out their load, but this guy wasn't concerened about if I needed help and then just let it go, no, he was dripping with disgust. My employee who was the "big guy" he was refering to, is outside now and heads over to help out of courtesy. I tell him "No, don't help me, he doesn't think I can do it." (Sue me, but I don't like to be told I can't do something, and I do have pride.) My employee steps back and I finish loading the sofa with ease.
If you can't already tell, I'm a little annoyed with this man, he's not saying these things in jest, he's dead serious and is clearly jerk. After loading the sofa I pronounce, "See, I'm not a wimp." He replys, "Yes you are, you are a girl, so you are a wimp." AGH! What a misogynist!! My "big guy" confirms that I am indeed no wimp, but the guy isn't gonna hear it. Before I hop the trailer in one bounding leap to clobber the guy, I decide it's high time to go in, and on my way past his wife she simply laughs like it's no big deal that her husband is a moron. And the funny thing is, that guy couldn't even lift CRAP 'cause he has a bad back and beer belly, and just wants to get his recliner home so he can plop down in front of the TV. The nerve!! Sorry, I just had to share my annoyance.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Audrey dear!! I cannot stand men like that! It is true, the only reason he had to make you feel bad is to build himself up because he knows you could outlift him. I would have told him that. "If you're such a hotshot, then you do it!" I'm sorry he was such a jerk to you and even worse that his wife didn't slap him!!! My husband would get it if he ever treated someone that way, which he wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bugs me. What a fish head! AH! I'm very happy you got a blog-- YAY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish Head indeed! Yes here I am. I hear you Kim. I was surprised she didn't tell him to cork it or something, and his 2 sons were there listening to he stupid comments too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I removed my post above because I changed my mind. I don't think girls are wimps. But I personaly like having a women's role, and men to have a man's role. I think if girls keep trying to be like men. (not saying you are. I know alot of girls that want to be and do try to do every thing a man can do. at that bugs.) because if we try to be as rough and tough as a man, men will treat us like men. I want to be treated like a lady. I like men to carry the heavy things, to work on the cars, to do the yard work. I like to do the wifey, mommy work. I wouldn't like it if men tried to be just like women! ew! Now, I am not saying you were! It just made me think. Does that make sense? But he was rude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes sense, but I'm not trying to be a man, and I don't want to be a man, but I'm not a wimp, I can take care of myself, I'm not helpless, and I certainly can do my job. I don't want to be competing in a strong man contest, but I'm no wilty little flower either. Women are not wimps, women take care of the family even though they are sick, women have babies, something men could never handel, women do lots of things that are in no way wimpy, and I don't appreciate the stereotype that women can barely lift more that a feather duster, cry at te slightest emotional or physical pain, or any other untrue "wimpy" assumtion. I am a woman, I want to be a woman, but I like to know that when I need to be tough, I can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so true! I think women do alot and can do things men could never!
    But as for me, I am a wimp. I could never left all that furniture by my self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heart you Audrey. I hate that man though. When I got your email that announced your blog I went "Yesssssssss!" and people at worked looked at me funny. It made my day. I can't stand guys like that - such a sexist pig. Ick. But your anecdote was awesome and I love that you can outlift lots of guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is annoying... some men just don't get it... and I guess women can be the same way sometimes too

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you want to call yourself a wimp, I won't stop you. I AM NOT, and not all women are. I'm independent and self-sufficient, and while I will let a man treat me like a lady, I won't let one treat me like a baby. And being tough doesn't make someone less of a woman. The pioneer women WERE tough, and were in no way wimps, and you can't argue with that. They did lots of hard work and heavy lifting, and I DARE you to call any of them less of a woman for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you meaning this for me? If so, I am not calling any one less then a women. I guess you didn't understand what I was trying to say. oh well

    ReplyDelete