Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Poor Lilly Dog!

I LOVE my dog, she is such a sweet, loveable, loyal, little thing, and she is my baby. On January 31st (sunday), I came home from visiting my parents and got lilly and went to bad, and she was shaking, so I thought she had diarrhea, so I took her outside, nothing. so we went back to bed and she just shook till she was good and asleep. The next day she seemed fine, the next night she seemed fine, then Tuesday night, she was shaking again. So I took her out again, nothing. Wednesday, she was not very lively, she just slept all day. Nothing Wednesday night, Thursday she was still blah, Thrusday night shaking, Friday, blah, Friday night shaking, Saturday she was just not interested in anything, so my concerns elevated, and I knew I needed to get her to a vet first thing Monday. It wasn't an emergency, and it was the weekend, so I figured Monday was the soonest I could get her in, if then. Sunday she was blah again, didn't want to eat, and just laid around all day. I decided to poke and prod and squeeze her to try to see if she reacted in pain to anything, but nothing happened. I left her home that day to rest, and I went to visit my parents.

When I came home that night, I went to retrieve her from the couch to go to bed, and she yellped. I couldn't figure out why. We went to bed and she was shaking. Just as I was dosing off, Lilly woke me up so I could hold her. I wrapped my arms around her and she laid her head on my neck. I touched her face and she whined in a way that suggested I hurt her. I touched the back of her head and she did it again. I started to feel paniced for her, and wished It was moring so I could call her vet.

The next morning, my mom text me to ask how she was and I relaied the story. She told me to bring her in to her work, an animal care center in Bountiful. So I went to work, did my little monday assignment, and punched out 15 minutes later to go home and get lilly and take her to bountiful.

A little while after I got back to work, my mom called and said that Lilly had a problem with a disk in her lower back, and she was in pain. She told me that they gave her a anti-inflamitory, and that she would have to take them the rest of her life, and that one of the doctors at her were was going to start therapy on her that day, heat, electro, and water. She said that her back may not get worse, but it could get worse, and she could end up paralized. :(

So after therapy that day my mom to her home, and I went to Bountiful again after work. I stayed with my parents for a few hours, and Lilly was 100% better, but she was somewhat better. Then she slept from exhaustion of her day and we went home.

My mom had credit at her work to help pay for any bill, but the doctor didn't charge for anything, even the meds. The next day, she was sore agian, and she not lively or anything, even after her meds, so again, she went back in for therapy. She stayed in Bountiful that night, and the next day my mom to her to work again and she go more therapy, and some acupuncture. My mom brought her to my house after work, but I was still at work, and they said he was back to normal. When I got home, blobs-ville. We went to bed and she had me up all night whining anf kicking her back legs. Finally we got to sleep, and made it thought the night.

Things were not different this morning, she was blah, even after her meds (but she is eating now by the way), so we went back to bed for a bit, and then I got up and left her there. I walked past my door and I could hear her in my room whining and crying under the covers, so I pulled the covers off, and she looked at my all pathedic.

I'm so sad about her. I want her to be better right now, and never be in pain again! I know daschunds had a tendancy to have bad backs, but she's only 3.5 years old, and she has been reduced to a lifeless blob with a brain. It's SO SAD! :(

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Aud! It is so hard to see your animals in pain. It sounds like you are doing all you can to help her. I really hope she gets feeling better soon! My friends dog had problems with discs in her neck and she did accupuncture too. She said that it helped quite a bit after she took her regularly. Can your mom get her any pain meds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, she is on anti-inflamitories, but they don't last all day, so she is in pain by the evening. They said if she doesn't improve after a week on them, they will change it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Audrey, I'm so sorry. I hope she gets 100% better and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sad! your poor baby! Lilly is so cute!
    I can just picture her in her bee costume.
    Any news?

    ReplyDelete
  5. no news... it just keeps taking longer and longer to get the results... but my gut tells me it's not going to be good, no matter how much I love her and how much I want her to live. :( But I keep praying.

    ReplyDelete