Friday, February 5, 2010

Interesting Thoughts I Had... Interesting to me. :)

So, I've mentioned dreams a couple of times in my blogs before, I just think they are so interesting. I think I mentioned it before as well, but my dreams are very vivid and I always remember them in the morning.

Two dream myths I have been told, and can personally vouch for their de-bunk-ability.
1- We can't dream in color.
Says who? How do you know what my dreams look like? You can only see your own, and we all have different minds and imaginations, so how can anyone say that for a fact? I, in fact, dream in color everynight, unless I'm sick. Only when I'm sick to my dreams lose color and they speed up to a pace that could drive a person mad. Otherwise, color!

2- You can't read in your sleep, it's impossible because doing so would require you to use a portion of your brain that would wake you up.
Whatever! I read thins in my dreams ALL the time. In fact, Wednesday night, I was DEEP asleep, and an employee of mine sent me a text message at 1:30 in the morning.... so I guess I should say Thursday morning... in any event, I was sent a text. My inbox was full, so the phone just kept vibrating twice every minute or so as a reminder that I wasn't reveiving the text I was sent. At first, and for some time, the double vibration my phone was making was becoming part of my dream. My friend Nicole was texting me and I was reading everything the messages said.

"Hi Audrey. What are you doing? I'm just sitting here, my family wants to watch Mrs. Marple instead of the show about electric people on the discovory channel, boring!"
"Now they want to watch (I forget) instead of the show about people who can control electricity, boring."

I know they make no sense, but I was reading them.

Everytime the phone would vibrate, I dreamed another text was coming in. Soon the texts were not coming in (as in real life) but my phone was vibrating to tell me I was full, so I was trying to read and delete as fast as I could. Soon I did wake up, but only when my subcontious realized that the sound was real, and not a dream, it had nothing to do with reading.

So weird!

And then, I was thinking about another thing about dreams... it's a curious thing.

Now things like this have been in my dreams before, but this is just the latest example to illistrate my point.

Last night, I was dreaming I was talking with a friend who was with a friend of his, and for some reason, I was getting into my friends the car with them (even though I had my own), and since they were in the front, I had to get in back. The car was small, and the back of the passenger seat met with the front of my legs as I sat there. The seat next to me was full of boxes or something, so I was confined to the small space I was in. As I was talking to my friend, his friend said "Sorry "so-and-so", I think I made a mess of your back seat." I hear him, but I had no clue what he was talking about, and neither of us bothered to stop and ask, I really only barely heard him.

As I left the car and walked away, I looked down at my white shoes, light blue jeans, and green hoodie, and saw that I had ketchup smeared all down the front of me, on my shoes, pants, and the bottom of my hoodie. Suddenly I remembered what he had said and I whirled around to yell at him for letting me get into the car when he knew he had made a mess. But I woke up before I could say anything.

My point? Well... I had no clue what the guys meant about messing up the back seat, and the realization of what he meant later, was a shock to me.... so how do our minds do it? I mean, did my mind know all along what the story was going to be, and it was just not letting my in on the secret, or was my mind making it up as it went and seeing how it all played out? It's so crazy how the connection was made from something I barely even heard someone say to what happened later.

It's just so crazy! I really do like to see what "movie" my mind has in store for me each night, it's usually quite entertaining, and rarely ever a re-run.

3 comments:

  1. you are a girl of dreams! I have been dreaming a lot too. since I've been pregnant. I think when you dream you arent' in a deep sleep. So does that mean you or I don't get good sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, vividly recalled dreams most often occur duing REM sleep, and REM sleep is the most deep sleep you have.... so I must be really well rested most of the time, because that's how i usually sleep. I sleep through most things at night... usually right after a full REM sleep cycle, we have a bout of light sleeping, and can then be easily awakened, but then soon we go back into REM sleep again. I'm guessing it's probably the times where my dreams shift gears that I'm in light sleep. You must sleep better when you are pregnant maybe, if that is the only time you really dream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. just thought i'd let you know that i like your blog! very creative and interesting posts!

    ReplyDelete