Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Four Things I Learned on My 2010 Caribbean Cruise

Okay, I'm bad at posting tales of my travels, there is so much to say, and I find it daunting, but I decided I would try to get the ball rolling tonight.

Four Things I Learned on my 2010 Caribbean Cruise:

1- Be happy with what you have.

Somebody, I forget who, said that most of these islands are considered third world, and I suppose it was varified by some of the homes, annual incomes, and just general living conditions that we learned about the people on these islands. Yet, despite how these islanders lived, in comparison to the lives we are used to, these people are a typically happy bunch of people. Everyone seemed to be proud of their island, their island was the best Caribbean island in their eyes, and they think they live in paradise, despite not having many luxuries we have.

I come home, and I and meet with foul weather, less than ideal issues at work, as well as drama, and a laundry list of things I want to change in/about my life. Wow, what's my problem? Don't get me wrong, I do use my blog to vent things, but I'm really a pretty happy person. So why is it then, that I can't appreciate the fact that Utah gets to go through all 4 seasons, even though some seem longer than others, and some bring a few more trials, but not everyone gets that experience. Don't get me wrong about my job either, I'm happy to have one, even though it is sometimes draining, so why not appreciate it all the time? I'm healthy, my needs are met, and I have great family and friends, so why don't I think I live in paradise?

2- Be Patient, and Expect the Expectable, and Un-expectable

Similar to the reasons in number one, the overall attitude of the people in the Caribbean, these islanders are considerably patient. I'm sure part of it is the laid back way of life, and that tourists are their livelihood, so they are out in the fresh air all the time, but they still have their stressors. When I was in China a couple of years ago, I was terrified by their traffic and the overall driving experience there. I was glad I was on a bus, and I just had to try not to look at the near collisions happening all around me in order to not feel anxious about it. I swore, I could never be persuaded by money or any other means to ever personally drive a vehicle in China.

Well, it would probably not be much easier to get me to drive on some of the roads in the Caribbean, they are a little scary too, but I noticed something different there. Yes, in China there is honking and maybe even some road rage, and it seemed a lack of patience on the part of many drivers, but in the Caribbean, the drivers seemed to expect other drivers to do dumb things, and it didn't bother them. Our taxi would be cut off by some other, non-signaling, non-caring driver, and the driver of the cab would slow, but barely flinch at the poor driving etiquette and disobedience of the laws, it was as if they knew the driver was going to do it in advance, and they were prepared. I never really heard mumbling under ones breath, or saw rude gestures, they just calmly adjusted to fit the situation.

So what's my problem? I yell at foolish drivers, even if they can't hear me. I occasionally stare a driver down as I pass to let them know I think what they just did was rotten. I allow myself to get bothered by the inappropriate behaviors of people both on the road and off. I need to take a lesson and just slow down, chill, and expect that things will happen, so be ready to adjust to fit the situation.

3- Live Every Day Like a Vacation

Now, I don't think that I should never have work, or never be responsible, but on my trip, I enjoyed myself and basked in each day. I knew my vacation wasn't going to last forever, so I tried to savor every moment, and soak up the day. When I am home, I find myself wishing time away as I wait to leave work, or look forward to some specific place in time I want to be, and I don't live in the moment enough. It's time for me to see what I have in every moment of the day, and stop wishing my life away. I need to live like this won't last forever, and like any given day is one in a handful of final days.

4- Vacation From a Good Habit, is the Birth of a Bad Habit

I told myself that I could do whatever I wanted to do on my vacation, and I should enjoy it because it was my time to let loose... true, and not so true. I wish that I had only loosened the reins on my healthy eating a little. I didn't want to let myself miss out on new and exciting things to eat because I was trying to stick to strict eating habits, but I went a little too far and threw healthy out the window, and it's been hard reviving it in many ways.

I didn't workout like I do at home, but I did get exercise everyday in various forms (always taking the stairs, hikes, swimming, and lots of walking), and I think I was okay in that respect, but I am finding it hard to get back into the swing of things. I find this to be true, really, with all things. If I miss reading my scriptures once, it turns into twice, and then before I know it, I haven't read them for multiple weeks or months. I am so glad that I was wise enough to maintain at least that one good habit while I was on vacation.

Well, I guess that's it, tune in next time, for the first episode of "High Times, on the High Seas."

1 comment:

  1. Hello Audery I have put a private thing on my blog but I need you address so you can still see what is going on in our lives so I need your address so i can send it too you. oh by the way I wish I was you single and loving life and going on w whole lot of trips :)

    ReplyDelete