Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Caribbean Cruise- April 2010

This was, so far, the biggest group we have had on our travels. There were 11 of us, and it took 3 rooms to accommodate us all.



We woke up nice and early Saturday, and made our way to the airport where we took our first flight to Atlanta, Georgia. We stayed there long enough to have some lunch and make our way to San Juan, Puerto Rico. We got into San Juan kinda late, so some of us went to bed and some went a wandered around the streets for a bit. The next morning we made our way over to the ship and climbed on board to begin our cruise.

(BTW- The computer is being weird about uploading pictures right now, I'll have to come back later and add them in, maybe...)

So we toured our ship, which happened to be the same ship we were on on our last Caribbean cruise, and just enjoyed a chilled out day.

The First day we had our first port in St. Thomas. The 3 of us who had been on the last Caribbean cruise together had been here before, but this time instead of going to St. John, we went to Water Island, and to Honeymoon Beach were we enjoyed a lovely day of swimming, tanning, playing, eating, and generally just relaxing. It was a nice little beach, we were not too crowded, and there was a lady from New York that had left the hustle and bustle of the city to set up her own little hut on these beach to sell yumm-o food to the tourists and the people on the island.

We made our way back to the stores by the ship and did a little shopping before hoping back on and getting ready for dinner. We filled up an entire large table with just our group, and people certainly took notice of the group with "All the single ladies", and several people commented on it.

As the details are beginning to fade some, due to my lack of promptness to get this posted, I'm sure I'm missing plenty of good stories, but I will just do my best.

So the same people who shared hotel rooms in San Juan, shared rooms on the ship. I didn't seem to notice the first night together, in San Juan, but once on the ship, we discovered that we had a snorer in our room. Bless her heart, she was not aware of this tendency she had, but it certainly kept us up at night, and I guess one night it finally got to me and I lost it...
The next morning we were chatting at breakfast and the topic somehow came up, of snoring, and this is when we learned that the snorer didn't even know she snored. Later that day I approached 2 other girls in the group, and they asked me about how I had yelled at people the night before... I looked at them for a second to gauge their seriousness, and seeing that they meant it, ask "I did?" They looked at each other and started laughing. Apparently in my sleep I shouted, "STOP SNORING!" To my great relief the girl snoring was wearing ear plugs and never heard it, but the other two girls in the room now thought I was off my rocker, although they were glad I said what they were thinking... I pleaded my case to them, and they soon were laughing at me too, but I guess I'm going to have to control my thoughts in my sleep a little more since high emotion tends to bring out sleep talking.

Our second day on the cruise we were in Dominica, were we split up into 3 different groups and each took a different hike to different waterfalls in the rain forest. We couldn't all agree on the same hike, we we all went where we wanted too, which is a great thing about having such a large group, it's easier to break off when we each have different ideas of what we wanna do.

It was a fun hike, and we got to swim in the pool under the waterfall, which was really cold, but I enjoyed it. Then we hiked back out and headed back to the ship, stopping to do a little shopping before getting back on.

The third day we were in Barbados were we took a catamaran out and got to snorkel with fish at one stop, and sea turtles at another. It was cool to be that close to them, but it did scare one of our friends, and she headed back in to get away from the fish. After snorkeling we played on a beach and the guys that took us out gave us lunch and back in we went. One of the guys was a huge flirt and kept hitting on my friend and I, it was pretty funny.

The fourth day we were in St. Lucia and we took a bus up to the rain forest, and there we were split into 2 groups (because of our size) and we got to zip-line through the rain forest. Our guides were Melanie and Faron, who were a lot of fun, but they didn't get along with each other too well... But it was a good time. :)

The Fifth day, we were in St. Kitts, we decided there wasn't a lot to do there, so some girls went to a couple of beaches, and other, including myself, stayed on the ship and just relaxed and enjoyed the day.

The Sixth day we were in St.Maarten, we had been here the fist cruise as well, but instead of snorkeling here like we had before, we took a ferry over to another part of the island and hit some flea markets and then the beach before heading back again.

The next day were back in San Juan, and since it was Sunday some of us made our way to a church and got there part way through sacrament meeting. It was fast Sunday so we listen to the testimonies in Spanish, and afterward were greeted my several friendly members hoping to help us understand the meetings since they would all be in Spanish. There were some missionaries there that day, but they were afraid of us, a bunch of girls, since they haven't talked to girls much for awhile... ha ha ha... but eventually they came to assist us in translation. It was a nice day and we went back to the hotel to get other girls, and put our stuff away. We then made our way to the San Juan Fort to check it out. Some of us stopped to eat at a cute little bistro first, and then, regenerated, made our way to the fort.

It was a windy day, but it was cool because so many people were out flying kites on the grass by the fort. WE walked around to the entrance and commented on the fact that someone was going to end up getting clothes lined by one of the kites, and then on the way out of the fort, one kite attacked my friends Jenny and Kristianne, so we had to save them... it was sad cause the string hurt them, but it was sort of funny too... glad it wasn't worse. The next morning we headed home bright and early, and got home late... only to be greeted by snow! Poo! We enjoy a nice sunny vacation and come home to that? It's hard enough to come home as it is, but that makes it worse... But I lived. :)

Okay, sorry, that was the short version... Maybe more pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment